Saturday, September 11, 2010

Project 1

Our first project was to "create a place for a leaf" using plain white paper and no adhesives. This project challenged us to think of leaves, how they behave, where they belong, and things of that nature. I figured that since leaves die so easily when they're away from the tree, I'd repurpose my leaf and put it into a nest like a bird might do. It took around twelve or so tries but I finally found the right place to put my leaf.

This is one of the first attempts I made at making a nest. Because it was one of the first, I used computer printer paper so it was thin and flimsy and didn't take to weaving very well. I had to experiment some more with paper and technique. 

I started to use thicker paper and the nest really started to take form. I also figured out a good technique for weaving the paper together. 

This nest was too big for the size of my leaf, though, and the leaf didn't really have a specific PLACE in it.

Final product...I decided that the leaf would have more purpose in the nest if i wove the paper through it so I cut slits into it as shown.

Final product...top view


No comments:

Post a Comment